Week of Jan. 19, 1914
• The G. H. Sinclair store in Aldershot had a front page ad in the Gazette on house cleaning supplies, but at the very bottom of the ad it noted: Issuer of marriage licences.
• The annual meeting of subscribers of the Burlington Public Library was held in the reading room at which time a discussion took place concerning the provision of lavatory accommodation at the library.
• At a meeting held in the clerk’s office, Burlington council passed a resolution that “the Lake Shore Road, which connects the cities of Hamilton and Toronto, and serves a population of over half a million people, and which at present is in a deplorable condition, should be the first provincial highway constructed.”
Week of Jan. 20, 1964
• Fire destroys restaurant at Plains and Waterdown roads; building was 120 years old and once served as a stagecoach stop, toll station and hotel.
• Proposed Wellington Square shopping mall turned down by the Ontario Municipal Board.
• DeLuxe Taxi, owned by George Seaton, buys out Jack Harris’ Crown Cabs.
• Burlington’s building and planning committee debate Brant Street overpass at Plains Road.