Week of May 12, 1914
• Coates & Sons’ new planning mill is now up and fully operational.
• The Hotel Raymond advertising rates of $1.50 a day, with the best stable in town.
• Building inspector issues permits for John Connell’s new blacksmith shop, while another permit issued is for an addition to the Crystal Theatre.
• A letter to the Burlington Tennis Club from the Burlington Country Club suggests that the two clubs unite for tennis privileges on the “fine courts at the Hotel Brant” and that fees be set at $5 for gentlemen and $3 for ladies for the season.
• Hamilton Dairy Co. starts to make daily deliveries in Burlington of milk, cream and butter.
Week of May 12, 1964
• Bonnie Place rushes final preparations for June opening.
• Extensive changes under way for QEW/Guelph Line intersection.
• Interim Y board looks at working relationship with Great Hamilton YMCA.
Week of May 5, 1914
• Council seeks report on the feasibility of an electric road passing through Burlington from Hamilton to Toronto.
• Fifth annual concert of the Burlington Band scheduled for Crystal Palace Theatre, with added attractions including a comedian and a whistling entertainer.
• Dr. T. W. Peart buys Ford runabout from E. T. Emerson, the local agent.
• Emerson brothers preparing to open ice cream parlor again this year, noting that business has been rapidly increasing.
Week of May 5, 1964
• Wellington Square development stalled as OMB considers application for 100 per cent lot coverage.
• Mac Sprowl appointed deputy sheriff for Halton County.
• Town Council agrees to acquire Kraft’s Lane, with costs to be assessed on residents abutting the lane.
• National Trust opens newest branch, located in a circular building on Brant Street.
• Council approves regulating store closing hours and days by a 11-1 vote.
Week of April 28, 1914
• Reeve Smith receives letter from Ottawa approving construction of a revetment wall that will be 150 feet from the shore, with opening left to allow small craft to enter.
• Chas Miller, proprietor of the Lakeside Dairy, strikes a deal with Burlington Dairy to purchase their routes, rigs, and horses effective May 1.
• Patrons pleased with the new look Crystal Palace Theatre with the interior having been re-decorated, the seats re-arranged while other improvements are centred on the quality of the picture.
• W. D. Flatt seeks to have gas lines extended from the canal piers into Burlington.
• Dr. W. A. Bodkin, house surgeon at the Hamilton City Hospital, assumes the medical practice of Dr. W. R. Watson
Week of April 28, 1964
• Burlington makes bid to have a representative on the Hamilton Harbour Commission.
• Mass transit survey to include questions about experimental railway commuter service between Burlington and Ajax.
• Eaton’s to submit own case regarding inclusion in regional shopping centre.
Week of April 21, 1914
• Crystal Theatre re-opens for the summer season.
• C. F. Coleman advertises choice building lot on Hurd Avenue measuring 35 x166 for sale at $450.
• Mass appeal goes out to residents to paint and fix up their property, and to rake rubbish into a pile to burn it – “making sure you don’t burn your house down.”
• Chu Bros. set up a laundry business in a garage located on Brant Street.
• Over-crowding is reported in the kindergarten room forcing the teacher to arrange different hours for the various classes.
Week of April 21, 1964
• Construction of the clubhouse for the Tyandaga Golf and Country Club is now under way.
• Politicians move to ban truck traffic from Beach Boulevard.
• T. Eaton Company expresses interest in joining with Dominion Store and Robinson’s as key tenants of a major new shopping centre on Guelph Line.
Week of April 14, 1914
• H. E. Walker, commanding officer of the 20th Regiment Halton Rifles, announces that “E” company would commence drilling at the Burlington drill hall that week.
• Burlington boy’s band now preparing for their annual concert, which will be held at the Crystal Theatre.
• The Grand Trunk International Limited delayed coming into Burlington by a fire which started in the roof above the kitchen stove in the dining car, but armed with axes and water pails, the crew managed to get the flames under control.
• Dr. T. Peart elected president as a new baseball club is organized in Burlington with suitable grounds to be established on the J. C. and M C. Smith property.
• The Pine Cove baseball club hears that work is progressing on the erection of grand sand for the Pine Cove grounds.
• Lakeside Dairy announces that they now have a phone installed, with customers urged to phone 340 for delivery.
• Post office rescinds order that letters containing currency up to $1 be diverted to the dead letter office.
Week of April 14, 1964
• Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital is asked to help train nurses through a program in conjunction with the Hamilton and District School of Nursing.
• Large addition that will include a greenhouse planned for Nelson High School.
• Majority of Burlington merchants petition for uniform store hours.
Week of April 7, 1914
• Burlington resident, Mrs. Elizabeth Lowe, displays a copy of a deed dated Feb. 14, 1798, granting to Capt. Joseph Brant, 3450 acres in what is now Burlington.
• Crystal Theatre scheduled to reopen on April 24th for the summer season.
• Burlington’s tap water tested from three areas of the village and found to be perfectly pure.
Week of April 7, 1964
• $30,000,000 Pineland Estates development passes first hurtle; plan to include shopping centre, two schools and 2,050 housing units.
• Hospital administrator William O’Neill says major expansion will be needed by 1970.
• Burlington’s Donna Lancaster, an employee of the food store at Brant Street and Mount Forest Drive, is named queen of the supermarket checkers-cashiers for Canada.
• Official opening for Tyandaga Golf Club now scheduled for June 13.
Week of March 30, 1914
• George Alton tenders his resignation as tax collector for the year 1914.
• Council approves the installation of an electric light on Martha Street.
• George Brown, a grocer at Port Nelson, has now completed his new store on his property east of the old stand, and will shortly move from the old corner store that has been used as a business for the past 60 years.
• Lakeside Dairy commences business, with the depot located in the store formerly occupied by Graham’s Shoe Home.
• Constable Wm. Tufgar appointed milk inspector.
• After it was announced that St, George’s Anglican Church, Lowville, was building a tower on the church, Mrs. W. D. Flatt, Pine Cove, offers to install a church bell in the tower in memory of her father, the late Henry Richardson.
Week of March 30, 1964
• Building and planning committee approve application for an eight-storey, 72-unit building to be known as Lord Nelson Apartments at 5200 Lakeshore Road.
• Traffic light installed in front of Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital.
• Another nine holes already on the drawing board as Tyandaga Golf Club scheduled to officially open on June 13
Week of March 23, 1914
• Burlington council has made application to the Railway and Municipal Board in regard to annexing a certain portion of Nelson Township bordering on Brant and New streets.
• George Alton is appointed Burlington customs office, replacing W. J. Brush who recently resigned from the position.
• T. H. L. Bamford and N. Hubbert have leased the store in the Oddfellow’s building and will open a general store in the near future.
• The Gazette announced that recruitment for the 20th regiment of the Halton Rifles would begin as soon as arrangements can be made.
• The board of license commissioners for Halton approves transfer of the Hotel Raymond from H. E. Oakes to George Chipperfield.
• Movement under way to organize Sons of Scotland Lodge in Burlington.
Week of March 23, 1964
• Ex-councillor George Harrington appointed to fill the council seat vacated by Gordon Goodrow who has moved to Windsor.
• Council approves paving Mainway and Northside Road in Progress Park at a cost of $70,000.
• Interim board of management approves first step toward building a Family YMCA complex in Burlington.
Week of March 16, 1914
• The Gazette learns that a new contract has been awarded for the completion of the revetment wall on the lake front; work to commence as soon as the water in the lake recedes.
• Just days after announcing the opening of his new dairy, Chas. Miller tells The Gazette it will be known as the Lakeside Dairy.
• W. D. Flatt named president as football club organized; games to be played at the Pine Cove grounds.
• Pine Cove Baseball Club re-organized with W. D. Flatt as president; announces that a pavilion would be erected on the grounds for the coming season.
• Hamilton police arrest John Lougheed of Port Nelson on a charge of non-support and desertion preferred by his wife.
• John Connell purchases property from W. C. Kerns at the corner of James and John streets to build an up-to-date blacksmith and wagon shop.
Week of March 16, 1964
• Interim board elected as residents approve establishment of a family YMCA in Burlington.
• Huge crowd lines the street as Green’s Department store opens on Brant Street.
• Work of Burlington’s new town hall now only slightly behind schedule, delay as a result of an appeal after project approved by OMB.
• Virtue Motors on Lakeshore Road undergoes vast changes with a name change to Brant Chrysler and the demolition of two houses on Locust for a used car lot.
Week of March 9, 1914
• Crystal Theatre closed down as work continues to increase capacity to 500 patrons.
• Application made to transfer license for the Raymond Hotel from H. E. Oakes to Geo. Chipperfield.
• J. W. Elliott appointed judge for the County of Halton.
• A. Coates & Sons establish temporary location for sewn and dressed lumber after fire destroys planing mill.
• Chas. Miller announces plans for new dairy and hopes to have wagons on the route soon.
• Dr. C. R. Roberts of Buffalo rents Tufgar barn on Water Street to practice veterinary medicine and dentistry.
• School on Plains Road closed after outbreak of diphtheria strikes nine of 25 pupils.
Week of March 9, 1964
• Joseph Brant Hospital lays out plans for $1 million wing to be added by 1968.
• Burlington Mohawks capture Niagara District Junior B Championship downing Stamford four games one.
• Gordon Goodrow resigns from council just three months after being elected after his firm transfers him to Windsor.