Week of January 5, 1914
• M. C. Smith re-elected reeve; defeats E. H. Cleaver by 150 votes.
• Nelson ratepayers meet in Strathcona Hall; hold informal discussion on location of a new school.
• Newly renovated Nelson Township Hall now open.
• Mrs. M. Hayes opens a restaurant on Brant Street as a convenience to people coming to town who only require a lunch.
Week of Jan. 6, 1964
• Council holds its inaugural meeting in the Central High School auditorium; dinner and dance follows at the Estaminet.
• Mayor Owen Mullin announces that Burlington is facing its first tax increase in three years owing to higher education taxes.
• John Ronson named chair of the Burlington board of education succeeding Fred Bidwell.
• Mrs. Palm Pezzini becomes the first woman ever to sit on the Burlington Separate School Board.