• Reeve M. C. Smith officially opens Burlington’s first covered ice rink, the Elgin Street Arena.
• Masquerade carnival planned for new arena with best clown to receive a box of cigars.
• Cold weather creates ongoing problems at Burlington’s newly built Central School as boiler inadequate to heat classrooms.
• Village commissioner on the warpath as citizens continue to throw coal ashes on the streets; violators will be prosecuted under village bylaw.
Week of Feb. 17, 1964
• Jaycees launch plan to build Family YMCA in Burlington.
• Public works committee approves Colonnade Park project on Marley Road; called one of the biggest multiple family housing developments in Canada.
• A. L. Green family department store, 19th such store in Canada, set to open in March.
•Queen’s Park accepts Official Plan amendment to maintain present 60-foot width of Brant Street rather than 100-foot proposal.